Sunday, September 18, 2011

Final Whitney Classic Training Ride Report

Resplendent in our 2003 and 2009 Whitney Jerseys!
September 18, 2011
South Mountain Park, Phoenix AZ


This morning Joe Tansill and your humble correspondent rode the Summit Road at South Mountain Park for our final training ride (actually our only training ride together) for this year's Whitney Classic. Joe and I have teamed on a number of Whitney Classic events, last riding as Team Catholic Old Guys in 2008! We leave for California this Friday!

Joe wasn't planning on riding the Whitney this year but when I called him after the PBP, he said he would be ready. He has put in two solid weeks of training; and as evidenced by these photos, is ready to go!!

I decided to ride an unpaved section of canal bank on our way to the park. Joe noted that it was prime flat territory. I said that I had ridden this canal bank many times and never had a flat! About 10 minutes later, we stopped so I could fix my flat front tire!

Great morning at South Mountain Park!
Soon we were battling the steep inclines that make up the Summit Road at South Mountain Park. We feasted on brownies near the summit and then enjoyed the twisting descent to the Circle K at Dobbins and Central to reload our water bottles and finish off the brownies. Refreshed, we pointed our faithful companions back toward the barn and headed home.

Joe said my rear tire looked a little mushy just a few miles from home! Another flat, but we were so close to home, I just topped the tire off with a hit from a CO2 cartridge and we made it safely home (although I do need to remember to repair the flat before we leave for California!).

A great morning on the bike. Thank you to all that have donated to Summit for this great fund raiser, click here for more information on the ride or to make a donation!

Steve Atkins

No comments: